About Me

My photo
Recovering alcoholic originally from the UK (sobriety date 17th May 2008). Living in a remote mountain village in Spain with cats & dogs that I rescued. The village has no form of entertainment aside from 17 bars - I got sober here! I have no access to transport and have never been to an AA meeting. It´s been tough but I love sobriety with a passion! I work and live The 12 Steps. I have had a lot of support via AA friends I have met on the internet. I speak with others in recovery on a regular basis. My blog is a record of my journey in recovery taken from my journal and emails. I´m here to help if any woman is struggling with her sobriety: Please email me: Sober-Princess@hotmail.com
Medical Billing
Medical Billing I taught myself to illustrate in sobriety as there are no jobs here and I´m not eligible for any benefits. I needed to find something I could do on the computer. It has been a difficult but rewarding learning curve!! I sell my illustrations via stock agencies and on gifts in 2 shops on Zazzle (Sober Princess sells recovery related products). Funky flash panels with my most popular products are at the very bottom of this page if you want to take a look - because nobody likes a pushy salesperson ;-) Thanks! Click here to see Molly Sky Designs store and Click here to see Sober Princess Designs store I also have a store selling products for shelter animals for the only animal shelter in this area. They are struggling BIG time and need all the support they can get to stay open! ALL proceeds made from this store are going here: Click here to visit the Animal Protection Society Albox and Click here to see my Speak 4 Animals store

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My thoughts at 2 years of sobriety

The Alcoholics Anonymous book (AKA The Big Book) saved my life.

Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism

I have 2 years of sobriety today (17th May 2010) but that would not be possible if I did not read the Big Book of AA. The Big Book contains the 12 Steps, and it is ONLY by working and living those 12 Steps that I can remain sober, sane and at peace.

The 12 Steps has but ONE purpose – to enable me to gain and maintain conscious contact with a power greater than myself so a hopeless alcoholic like me is free from the pain of alcoholism . . . . . because when alcohol is removed from me is when my REAL suffering starts . . . . and I better have something of real substance, depth and power to replace what alcohol once gave me, or before long I am either going to drink again or I am going to go insane.

For me it is THAT simple . . . . and I will also say this because it is MY truth. I have never been to an AA meeting because I do not have that option where I live. But the reason I am happy, joyous and free today is not because of the meetings I make . . . . it is because of the Steps I take. They are in the Big Book.

I could not care less about the dated language of the Big Book – either I am willing to go to ANY lengths for my sobriety or I am not. Either I am desperate or I am not. What do I care if any of the book seems a little patronising to me as a woman?? I am aware of when it was written and I´m aware that times were very different then. The ONLY thing that matters to me is does this book have the solution I need? The answer is YES it does, and for that I am TRULY grateful.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Terrible 2's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so-and-so!! BTW your blog rocks - have just tweeted it on Twitter. Hope it brings a load more traffic your way. Thanks for your support :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOO HOOOO!!! HAPPY TWO YEARS BELATED!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living sober as an individual previously hit with addiction and the like can now move on with their lives. It is the result of an inner desire to turn your life around from the life of dependency and addiction. When you have stayed on sobriety for already a long period, it can be considered an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to see you at two years rachel -- I look forward to sharing more of your journey!

    Mary LA

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Big Book is definitely a lifesaver. on the first blank page in mine I wrote "THE ANSWER" It really is the solution. I've reread it like 4 times including the personal stories (I LOVE the personal stories which is probably why I love sobriety related blogs) and I only have about 10 months sobriety. thanks for sharing your experience strength and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sober Princess: How are you? I’ve been thinking about blogging and celebrity and anonymity ( http://stark-raving-sober.blogspot.com/2010/06/online-and-celebrity-anonymity-what.html ) and I’d love to hear your opinion.

    Thanks!

    So-and-so

    ReplyDelete